Monday, April 21, 2008

Big differences...

I am taking a World Religions class this semester and I have been struck by some of the similarities in other religions, but am also convicted of some major differences. As I studied Colossians 1:24-29 this week, Paul makes an unbelievable statement; "The mystery of the gospel is Christ in you, the hope of glory." As I think about this statement and the way that it intersects with both Buddhism and Hinduism, the differences are glaring. Both Hindus and Buddhists teach that we are to detach from all and purge ourself from all desire, and in doing so we will find nirvana (not the band). As Christians we have a completely different hope. Our hope is that Chirst lives inside of us and that we are placed into Christ. The implications are huge. That means that I don't try to purge myself of desires, but that I push into Him - who is my greatest desire. If Christ lives in me, then my very nature is changed at the core of who I am.

My hope is that as followers of Christ, we might come to understand the hope of glory to which we have been called - that Christ lives in us. It's far different from anything any other world religion offers. It is the mystery of the gospel.

1 comment:

WorshipNotes said...

As I was reading that passage a couple days ago (following along with your teaching) I thought that passage would make a great focal point for a worship song - Christ in me, the hope of glory. I don't know if you have any composers in your group, but it might be interesting to give them a challenge to write a song on that text for your group to sing. Your text from last week would be good for that also - the absolute supremacy of Christ: Creator, Owner, Sustainer, Leader, Redeemer, Reconciler.