Wednesday, June 25, 2008

They Like Jesus...

I am currently reading the book "They Like Jesus, But Not the Church" by Dan Kimball with our college ministry staff. It is a phenomenal book. I highly recommend it to anyone working in Christian ministry or anyone who has been a Christian for a while. It has been so challenging to me, and it has pointed out some areas in my life that I really want to change and grow in. It has forced me to see the way that I have become part of the Christian bubble. I spend most of my time on the church campus, hanging out with Christians, ministering to Christians. This book is really inspiring me look at my schedule and in a very practical way find times that I can intentionally be away from the office.

It has been so encouraging to see the way that people outside the church view Jesus. In fact this is very consistent with what I have seen at CSUSM and Palomar. Every Wednesday I go to palomar and talk to people about fauth, they are very willing to talk about Jesus, they are very interested in who he is and open to those discussions. I am excited to pursue that further next fall!

2 comments:

JonnyUps said...

the title alone makes me want to read this. i have had my issues with the church. efcc in particular. it's a love/hate thing...and there shouldn't be any hate, i guess.

i won't go into it here. :) thanks for the suggestion of this book.

WorshipNotes said...

There are many places in scripture where the Church is referred to as the Bride of Christ. Even Jesus uses this analogy. So I guess if we love Jesus but not His Church, it's like when we have married couple friends and we really get along well with one half of the couple but not the other. It can be a tough situation - hard to have a really deep relationship with half of a couple when we don't get along with the other half. If we love Jesus, we better figure out how to get along with His Bride.