Thursday, January 10, 2008

beauty

This week I have been thinking a lot about worship. What does it mean to worship something/someone? How do we conjure up worship? How can we change the things that we worship? As I was thinking about this, there was a passage from the Bible that stood out to me. It's out of Isaiah 6 and Isaiah is standing in the throne room of God completely captivated by the beauty of God. I love this passage because its clear that isaiah is grasping for words. He doesn't have the vocabulary to explain what he is seeing. The beauty of the Lord is evident in this passage, but what is more interesting to me is Isaiah's and the other creatures response. Worship.

I am convinced that worship happens when we see God for who He really is... in all his beauty, purity, holiness and majesty. Another thing that I am convinced of is that worship is so much more than a song. For Isaiah, worship realizing who he was in relation to God and his sinfulness. For Isaiah worship was say, "I'll go, send Me."

Worship is serious business, because we are all worshippers. It's the way we were designed and we innately do it. All of us. It's serious business because worship determines who and what we will become. Ralph Wlado Emerson wrote this:
"THE GODS we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a man will worship something —have no doubt about that, either. He may think that his tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of his heart—but it will out. That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it is to our benefit to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming."
Powerful!

3 comments:

WorshipNotes said...

I thought of the song "Heart of Worship" when I read this. "I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what you have desired.... I'm coming back to the heart of worship, and it's all about You, Jesus."

If we are becoming what we worship, I need to spend less time following the Broncos and Rockies.

JonnyUps said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JonnyUps said...

when i worship through music, i close my eyes. sometimes it's out of fear that there are hundres of people looking in my direction. in all honesty. :) but the majority of the time, my eyes are closed so that there is nothing getting in the way of my heart. i don't want to see this person, or that person walking in through the door. i want to see nothing physical. it's only a distraction to me. i wish i could walk around everyday with my eyes closed. nice cars, girls, products, food...it's all seen by my eyes, and gets in the way of my heart giving and getting what it needs. it's all material, and not what i need to focus on.

does this make sense at all? i know it's so off topic, but good for me to write down and actually see.

ryan, i don't know you too well, but i've found your blog, and now have a new place to read. thanks man.

-jon upson