Monday, January 21, 2008

measuring transformation?


Recently I have been reading a new book called unChristian. This book talks about the different reasons that current 20somethings are turned off by Christianity. Some of the reasons they state are: the perception that Christians just wanted to 'get people saved', are hypocritical, judgmental, homophobic, sheltered and too political. The book is a fairly in depth study of the aforementioned topics. I recommend this book if you work in a church, especially if if you are working with young adults.

One of the things in this book that I found interesting was a section they had on measuring transformation that is taking place in people who are involved in the church. I have often times found this to be a difficult thing. Taking something that is so subjective (transformation) and making it objective and qualitative is nearly impossible. However, I was intrigued by the measuring tools they used. Here is what they stated:
  • worshiping God intimately and passionately
  • engaging in spiritual friendships with other believers
  • pursuing faith in the context of family
  • embracing intentional forms of spiritual growth
  • serving others
  • investing time and resources in spiritual pursuits
  • having faith-based conversations with outsiders
Any others that you would add?

2 comments:

Dusty Decker said...

I like the list, but I do agree that it is a pretty subjective area to draw a conclusion. I notice a direct (whether intentional or not) correlation to the "five purposes of a purpose driven church" in the list. I can't think of any off the top of my head I would add to the list though.
I'll have to check out the book, since it's in my "to read" pile.

WorshipNotes said...

I was reading something recently that said most of us don't need more information (i.e., about God)... we need more transformation. We don't need to know more about Jesus... we need to know Jesus more. Amen to that.