Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Donkey King

I wonder if we really understand just how ridiculous and counter culture Jesus truly was. I am preparing to teach this weekend and we have decided to spend these next two weeks pointing to Easter and the cross (then we are going to teach through the book of James... so excited!). My focus this week is going to be the triumphal entry. It's one of those stories that we have heard so many times that we might no longer hear it.

Jesus comes into town, being crowned as a king, and he comes in riding on a donkey! That's crazy. No king in their right mind would have ever ridden into town on a donkey,; especially when they are being declared to be the king. You have to wonder if the people who were watching and cheering and laying down their clothes for him to walk into town on were wondering what the heck he was doing. It would be the equivalent of President Obama riding in a Pinto during his inaugural parade. It would never happen.

It seems to me that Easter and all the events that lead up to it declare that God does not do things the way that we think he should. Are we willing to get on board with that kind of God? A God who rides into to town on a donkey?

1 comment:

Timmery said...

Well, donkeys may be a little crazy for us to think about riding...!
I laughed when I read your post because I had a professor last year who had written his doctoral thesis on donkeys in the old and new testaments. I guess he came up with some pretty wild stuff (he's one of those Bible exposition and hermeneutics and research gurus-scary kind of brilliant!). I don't remember hardly any of what he said, but there was some connection between riding on a donkey and royalty...
Too funny!