Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Resurrection

Being that it is Easter next weekend, I have been doing a lot of study lately on the subject of resurrection. A lot of my study and thinking has centered around N.T Wright's book "Surprised by Hope." One of the things that has been solidified in my mind is the future hope of a bodily resurrection. While my thinking has been impacted by Wright's work, it is also being molded by 1 Corinthians 15. I have always been firm in my conviction of a bodily resurrection, but have never been too sure of where that fits into the generally accepted idea of heaven.

I am really enjoying "Surprised by Hope" and highly recommend it... I don't agree with everything in it, but it has stimulated some really good thinking and discussion.

1 comment:

Miles Vincent Grimes said...

ugh...i love it. i started re-reading it this week. it's so good. i really want to discuss it with you though, if you're cool with that. i read 1 corinthians 15 yesterday and my viewpoint had totally changed the way the chapter is read. for instance, what do verses 20 and 23 mean? if Christ is the FIRSTFRUITS of those who have "fallen asleep," than fallen asleep doesn't hold such a negative connotation. "fallen asleep" means those who are waiting for resurrection, right? idk...lots to discuss. if i come home some weekend and you have the time, would you mind meeting with me about this book? have you finished it yet? it's an excellent read right before easter! i unintentionally started reading it during holy week...resurrection is good to reflect on right about now =]